International Student Guide
International Scholars Center

The Mobility Advisor at the ETH provides information on living expenses in Switzerland, health insurance, and exchange programs with other institutions.

The Swiss Government is offering scholarships for incoming students.

The Immigration Authority of the Canton Zurich (the local branch of the Swiss Federal Aliens Office) has certain guidelines for issuing residency permits to students. These guidelines (in German) are handed out to foreign students planning to immatriculate at the University of Zurich or the ETH Zurich.

For official information and definitive answers to questions you might have, please contact your nearest Swiss Consulate or Swiss Embassy. Please note that for students belonging to the European Union, new guidelines might apply due to a recent Swiss-EU treaty.

The University of Zurich has only a few dormitories. Many students share flats. Students who choose to do this should dedicate several days to an intensive search for a room in a flat. The university's virtual marketplace and the blackboards in the university buildings and institutes are all very helpful. The Youth Hostel and the City Backpacker hotel are to be recommended for temporary living arrangements. Students who would like to live in a dormitory should reserve a room several months in advance. The demand for dormitory rooms is high and the chance of getting a room is relatively small. Addresses are available at the Accommodation Office. As soon as you have an accommodation, you can apply for a residence permit which, among other things, allows you to open a bank account.

MSc UZH ETH in Quantitative Finance offered jointly by the University of Zurich and the ETH Zurich provides a sound basis for the doctoral program.

The Department of Banking and Finance at the University of Zurich.

Department of Economics at the University of Zurich.

Detailed overview of many practical things about living in Switzerland including health insurance.

Life in Zurich

If you find that any information on this page is incorrect, misleading or outdated, or that you have information that should be added to this page, please contact: